The theme for Invisible Illness Awareness Week this year was “Breathe Deep, Start Fresh.”
I’ve thought about that phrase a lot since then. In fact, I wanted to write this last month for IIWK ’11 in addition to using their 30 Things meme.
As I pondered their theme, I ended up coming up with my own theme for this quarter: “Back to Basics.” In the last four months, since I lost my best kitty friend, Bear, to cancer, my fibromyalgia has suffered a setback. To add insult to injury, I was also rear-ended last month!
Ever since then, I’ve been not quite myself and have been struggling to get back to feeling well again. With meditating on “Breathe Deep, Start Fresh,” it hit me… I need to get back to basics. All I need to do is what I did to get well the first time.
Programming Your Internal GPS
When I’m coaching clients, I use a tool called a Structural Tension Chart. It’s based on work done by Robert Fritz. You start by clearly describing where you want to go and where you currently are. The more clear you are about the two, especially where you want to go, the better! Then, the tension of the difference between the two will naturally draw you towards what you want. Think of it like programming your internal GPS.
Here’s where I want to go:
- Free from body pain again
- Headache free again
- Energy to do what I want to do again
- Back off of my pain medication
- IBS back under control
- No sugar or food cravings
- Down to a healthy body weight
- Gluten-free again
Where I am right now:
- Experiencing a lot of pain and fatigue
- Headaches are worse, including a couple full-on migraines
- Back on my pain meds
- Eating gluten
- Just had to raise my thyroid meds due to eating gluten “comfort food”
- Gained 30 pounds in four months
- IBS is worse
Ick. None of us like writing out the “Where I am now” part, but it’s really motivating to realize where you actually are!
After getting a clear picture of where you’re going and where you’re starting from, just like your GPS, you start creating steps to get you from one point to the next.
In my case, I’ve been here before. I know exactly what I need to do. I need to get back to the basics of what got me well the first time:
- I’m getting back on the program that helped me lose weight and feel better in the first place.
- I’m going back to being gluten-free.
- I’m taking my supplements regularly.
- I’m going to bed before 11 PM each night.
- I’m going back to the basics of self-care.
I’ll give you updates as I journey back to health, but instead of just watching my journey, why don’t you join me? You CAN lose the weight you’ve gained from the medications you’re on. You CAN feel better. To see stories from some of my clients, check out these testimonials and celebrations.
If you’re not ready yet, what is holding you back?